Powered By Blogger

Sunday 30 October 2011

When I met Jimmy Savile

When I lived in Scarborough and was unemployed I answered an advert from someone trying to set up a free newspaper. 
I contacted him and he met with a few of us who had replied. 
We all had different backgrounds, Andy was a teacher, Julian did amateur photography, I had a background in art and specifically graphics and knowledge of advertising and oddly can't remember either the name of the guy who advertised or his background!
The guy had the idea of setting up a free newspaper mainly aimed at the unemployed showing job vacancies and paid for through advertising.
This was years before anyone ever thought of introducing free newspapers!
We embarked on discussions with local businesses and many were willing to make the commitment to advertise when we were up and running.
We discussed layout etc and approached a local printer, we just needed the first one printing then once we had revenue from the advertising we could pay from that. It was to cost a few hundred pounds, can't remember the exact amount but it may as well have been millions as we were all skint! 
I wrote letters all over trying to get some sponsorship to no avail. How ironic this would have taken 4 people into work and off the dole queue! 
I eventually was interviewed by The Northern Echo, even did a photo shoot and they called me an editor but no-one came forward to support! 
We decided maybe we should write an article to sell to the papers.
Eventually we wondered whether Jimmy Savile would help as he lived locally in his mum' s flat.
Not sure who knew where he lived but I went round with Julian, the photographer. I was really nervous.
We knocked and yes he answered the door, no security intercom for him.
He invited us in....sorry no flat description, can't remember and too mesmerised and nervous!
We explained about the newspaper and asked if it would be possible to interview him with a view to selling the story. He wanted to help but told us that even if he spoke to us for free the tax man would assume he'd been paid. 
We told him we understood but he interrupted saying that if however we bumped into him somewhere that would be different. He told us he went jogging on the beach early in the morning if we wanted to find him. 
So we chose a day and said that we'd see him down there. I assume Julian gave him his phone number, years before mobile phones.... Yes you youngsters there was a time with no mobiles gulp! ...... as on the day in question I was woken very early by Julian knocking at the door. Jimmy was going earlier that day! 
I still wonder if this was Jimmy's way of seeing how serious we were! 
I quickly donned jeans and t-shirt, grabbed a coat, pen and pad and was off.
There was no possibility of not finding Jimmy at that early hour as the beach was deserted!
So onto the beach we went, both running alongside, Julian taking photos and me attempting to chat. Extremely difficult in those circumstances, even though I was sylph like and fit!
Jimmy said that we should go indoors away from the wind and cold so we went over to Jaconelli's ice cream parlour. It was before opening times but Jaconelli was in the shop and a good friend of Jimmy's.   
Can't remember all the details but did a general interview about his work, jogging on the beach, living in Scarborough etc! 
Then the hard work started trying to sell the story and photos but no-one seemed interested. I think one paper was willing to buy one photo for a meagre amount..... Ironic considering today's paparazzi!
Unfortunately people started getting job offers so we all disbanded...... I think Julian kept the photos.
One good thing came out of it Andy & I looked for a flat to share together and became life long friends!
Wish I had those photos! 

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful memory of a true gentleman. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how lovely!!! Its the sort of kind thing I'd imagine Jimmy Saville doing. Such a good bloke and this proves it! what a wonderful story and its brilliant that you are still friends with Andy - all things happen for a reason :)

    ReplyDelete